May 3, 2009

Monkeys, Floating Markets, and Weddings

But not in that order.


Last weekend I was in Bangkok. I like the city less than I remembered. I guess when I was there, I was forced to see the best in it, because I was there, like it or not, for six months. It was beneficial to like it.

But it's huge, the traffic is exceptional, and the air is stifling. I couldn't wait to get back to my village where the air and water are clear, and the people and pace are relaxed.

I stayed with Palm and her family though, which was great. The first and third nights were at her aunt's house on the river. The house is new, and gorgeous. The second night we all went to Ampawa, about an hour and a half away from Bangkok. I've heard about the floating markets in Thailand, and I was really excited to go to one!





Palm and her dad (not a great picture to show them, but I like this picture anyway) eating bread in sweet dip at an old-fashioned coffee place:

Palm and her brother, P'Ban (again, not a good picture for seeing them, but I really like it):


I came back on the overnight bus, arriving in Sisaket around 5am. It's great being back. Oh, and my visa stuff went fine. I'm set for the next three months.

Today I went to a wedding in the morning with P'Pawn. Apparently the bride is only 17-years old. Kuen Mae said that people suspect she's pregnant...I didn't know that happened here. It was completely different from anything you'd see in the States, but I don't know all the rituals enough to explain here.

Then I went to see monkeys with P'Pawn!! We gathered [what seemed like] hundreds of mangos from the temple grounds first, loaded them onto her milk cart, and drove to the city. I've been wanting to go for weeks, so this was very exciting.

MONKEYS!

Monkey eating mango:

Hold on, little monkey!


I'm really eager to get back to work tomorrow. I'm not actually a fan of weekends, unless I have work to get done. What I'm really waiting for is the start of the school year again. The excitement of my English classes has worn off and I'm quite without students to teach lately. I've been working on the website for the office instead, which is fine with me!

With my host mom, my cousin, and their dog:


To the Wolverines: HAPPY SUMMER! GO BLUE!

Love,
Alex

3 comments:

  1. cool! monkeys do understand thai :o
    it used to be monkeys and bananas but now its monkeys and mangoes, thats why you love mangoes so much, i dunno just thinking of your former host sister (chinese one who had to write sth about you)
    hey have you seen Mai yet???
    looking forward to more posts ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. MONKEYS!!!
    Can I assume that you'll be bringing one home for me? I'll take the top middle monkey in the first picture - the one contemplating the mango.

    Great pictures, Alex - you made my day!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hold on little monkeys" just made me laugh, because I can hear you say it. ALEX. Yesterday, I found a super-spider, inches long!!! I caught it in a bucket. that's a lie, my mother caught it in a bucket.

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete