March 25, 2009

Welcome to Thailand

Note: I wrote this last week Thursday, but for some reason, it didn't post. I'll update again soon!

I've been in Sisaket (the province) for about 5 days, and they've been the best 5 days since I left the U.S.

I'm living in a traditional village called Somboi. I am definitely going to stay here for the next 4 months. My new job entails a lot of teaching English, which is something that I never had any interest in doing, until now. I am so excited for my first class next Wednesday! Aside from teaching English, I'm helping with some computer stuff (including teaching the administrative office how to make a website!), and there are half a dozen other things I can do if I feel like it.

I'm living in a village of about 600 people. It's so very different from any place I ever knew existed, and I don't know how to begin to explain it. Some pictures will help, but they won't do it justice. I am completely in love with Somboi and the people and my life here.

Here are a couple pictures...
(There will be more to come, but I've been concentrating on living here, not documenting yet.)

My host uncle and I (we're standing in Thailand, and that's Laos across the river!):
He is super funny and nice, and I like him a lot.

My host mom and I, at a temple:

1 comment: