March 18, 2009

It's about time

The past couple of weeks have been a little crazy. My mood has faltered a bit, mostly because of my host family. Finally, though, I'm seeing a solution.


I never wanted to live in Bangkok, but I'm not sad about the time I've spent here. It's too Westernized, too many people speak English, it's dirty and busy. I love it here and I know this area better than any tourist, but I wanted to see the real Thailand. I talk to AFS about this, and they completely understood. It took a few weeks, but I think I'm moving to a small province in northeastern Thailand.

Here's the plan as it stands now:

On Saturday I'm going to Si sa ket for a few weeks. There is a teacher there who can host me for that short time. Then I'll come back here to Bangkok and talk to AFS. If I like it out there, I can go back for the rest of the time. It sounds like I'll be doing a combination of teaching English and working in a hospital.

I'm so excited, in a masochistic sort of way. I've never wanted to teach, and working in a hospital will probably be a nightmare-come-true. But hey, I wanted a challenge!

The people are Rachawadee have been great, and the director was really understanding when I talked to her about all of this today. I'm sad to leave my boys, but she said I'm welcome back anytime. I know I'll come visit them when I'm back in this area.

I don't know what my internet access will be like in this new location, but I will do my best to keep all my devoted readers informed!

Love,
Alex



My boys (they're twins):

My favorite one (Bang):

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome Alex!! "Si sa ket" will be totally different from where you live now. However, It's so cool to see a different part of Thailand. Thai accent at Si sa ket is different from Bangkok ^^

    I am so worry about my visa now. I need to get a job before the end of April T.T For me, everyday is quite boring...... Stay home, apply a job online.....

    Take care Alex...... Don't forget to join Thai new year!! It is the biggest festival in Thailand.

    Miss you.....

    Top

    ReplyDelete