July 9, 2009

My birthday (a month later)

I turned 17 in China, and the people there made that birthday absolutely incredible. It was filled with unforgettable moments with friends from all over the world.


My 20th birthday in Thailand couldn't have been more different, but it was equally wonderful.

The day started at 5:30 in the morning (sadly, that doesn't seem absurdly early to me anymore). I had to wake up early to prepare food to give to the monks. That's a very Thai thing to do. Usually they go to the temple and give food there, but nobody had time to take me that morning. I gave food to the monks when they came on their morning rounds of the village.




Then I went to my favorite school for a while. (I teach at 3 different schools, but I like the one closest to my house best.)

The 4th grade gave me their little gifts in the morning. Mostly they gave flowers or little trinkets, but some gave worn-looking stuffed animals. I wish there were a polite way to return these clearly-treasured gifts.



Then I went to the district office, at their request. They'd been telling me for weeks that I had to be there, but wouldn't tell me why.

Here's why:

Each employee gave me a rose or two. By the end, I could barely wrap my 2 hands around them all.

The head of the office (and the village, I think) gave me this bouquet.



Then I went back to the school, and the 5th and 6th grades gave me small presents.


(6th grade girls)

At night, my host mom made spaghetti and some other food. We invited my uncle, aunt, and 2 friends over for dinner. Then we had another cake. I ended the night with another very traditional Thai activity.


In Thailand, it's expected that the birthday person will take care of everyone else. Buy dinner, provide entertainment and refreshments, clean, serve, etc. I played my farang (foreigner) card, because I just don't have the money to take 30 people out to dinner.

But the above picture is an example of this difference between Thai and Western cultures. In the West, it's customary to make the birthday person feel special. Tell them you're happy they're around, etc. In Thailand, the birthday person makes other people feel special. Thank them for everything, etc. So the person sits on the floor while the parents and/or relatives sit in chairs, gives them flowers, and talks for a while.

Part of what was so great about my birthday here was that it involved so many things that could never happen in the US. And the outpouring of affection from everyone was overwhelming.

Then I lost my camera. Life had to bring me back down to earth somehow I suppose!

1 comment: