February 14, 2009

Language issues

Thai is a very difficult language, and my knowing Chinese has both helped and hindered the learning process. There are parts of Thai language that are very similar to Chinese (measure words, for example) and very different from English. I remember having a really hard time in China adjusting to these strange differences. Now it's no problem for me though.


However, having two Asian languages that I'm trying to keep in my head is tough. More than once, I've responded to Thai people with hao (OK in Chinese) or dui (correct in Chinese). And when I think in Chinese now, I've started to add kha (polite end particle in Thai) to then ends of my sentences.

My biggest fear in coming to Thailand was forgetting (or losing some) Chinese, and that seemed to be happening over the past week. Words that I'm sure I used to know, I just couldn't think of. Luckily last night, I had a chance to confirm my Chinese-speaking abilities with a teacher at a Chinese language school. It was so much fun! As much as I love Thailand so far, nothing will replace my attachment to China and Chinese language. Anyway, we talked for about 45 minutes, and exchanged numbers. I guess he was as happy to have someone to talk to in Chinese as I was!

A final frustrating language issue I'm having: A lot of Thai people know a few words in Chinese, and when they hear I speak Chinese, they take the opportunity to show it off. I have no problem with this - despite their poor accents, I can understand them. The problem comes when they throw these words randomly into sentences, and my mind is in Thai mode and I don't catch them. Then they have a great time laughing about my confusion, because "can't you speak Chinese?!"

I should probably go see if anyone is awake now (they weren't when I woke up), and get the day started. Soon I will have picture of my elephant adventure in Ayuttaya province!

Love,
Alex

P.S. Here are the pictures I promised you from my Thai dancing fiasco...

The teacher is on the left. I'm not sure what she's doing with her hand, but I assure you, Benz and I are correct.

Look at the scary way her fingers bend backwards! Mine don't do that. I know this from when they tried to break my fingers, and I still couldn't do it.

Funny how it looks so natural for them and I look like a bad mime.

1 comment: